WordConvs is flexible system for text conversion and formatting. It uses
the text converters included in Microsoft Word 8.0 or higher to convert files written by other word
processors. This version works with the new Word 2007 as well, which
allows conversion to PDF. Moreover the program lets you change the document setting (like page with,
page height, margins etc, that is nearly all the parameters used by MsWord). So you can
utilize it also to standardize in one run a batch of documents written with different parameters.
In that case the conversion step can be skipped if not needed.
Fig. 1 - WordConvs Main Wind
- to transport documents from one Word Processor to another
- to change the documents settings so you can get better results, as not always the conversion give the
- to standardize your documents reformatting them as the conversion step can
- to process easily and quickly a big number of documents in one step.
WordConvs uses Microsoft Word and its converters¹ to convert
from and to the available input and output formats. It allows also the use of an external
converter program, like
which allows to convert Open Office documents (.odt) to MS Word documents,
or any other you have and you prefer to use. This option can be useful if
a conversion program doesn't have batch capability or doesn't allow to scan subdirectories
or/and to process hidden files and folders, as WordConvs gives these functionalities. It can be
useful also if there is not an included mechanism to test the completeness of the
conversion, as some converters in case of errors in input file truncate the conversion
without any kind of indication of the fact. In case of processing of a large number of
file this can be dangerous as you believe that the results are good while you can have as
result some truncated document (only partially converted). To test, also if not in a
secure way, this case, a program has been inserted which count the words, lines, and
characters of the input document. As Microsoft Word has internally the possibility to count them
in the output document, it is possible to compare these counters. Naturally the input file
counters are only a row approximation as only managing the formatting of the input
document it is possible to have a good count. The WC.EXE³
program included in the setup, is a general program (valid for document written by every
word processor) but with a variable level of accuracy of the result, depending on the
format of the document. For this reason the possibility to set the threshold of percent
difference that give rise to a warning message, has been inserted, as well as the
possibility to choose which of the 3 counters (word, lines, characters) to use (they can
be used alone or in whichever mix). If a more accurate program is available to you, you
can use it by setting its filename in the reserved space on the configuration dialog, as
well as the 3 possible strings forming the input line command together with input and
output file names set by WordConvs.
The functions implemented allows:
- the choice of files or directories to be processed
- the selection of input and output format
- the selection of document settings to be changed
- the setting of new parameters values
- the configuration of the program, which includes:
- the use of a new log file for each run
- the debug function which activate the display of Word windows displaying each program activity
- the exclusion of document conversion (when input and output format are the same)
- the use of an external conversion program
- preprocessing of input file for checking its correctness (available only for WordStar input files)
- the processing of a single file
- the scan of subdirectories when multiple file processing is selected
- the optional scan of hidden directories when multiple file processing is selected
- the optional scan of hidden files when multiple file processing is selected
- the optional checking of word count (with an external program)
- the optional checking of line count (with an external program)
- the optional checking of char count or not (with an external program)
- the inclusion of source file extension in the destination file name
- the option to add page numbers
- adjustable portrait and landscape parameters
- the removal of empty sections
- the removal of Carriage Return characters at end of sessions
- the selection of measurement unit
- the word count alarm threshold (as percent difference on input and output
- the line count alarm
- the char count alarm
When using WordConvs to convert a large number of files take care that the
operation is rather slow. To convert ten thousand files on a Pentium V 2.4 GHz. with 512
MB of memory took about 8 hours. One solution in this case is letting the computer make
the job during the night hours as WordConvs never stops in case of errors, there is no
blocking message and when the job is finished it is possible to control the results on the
3 log files produced: ConvLog.txt, ErrorLog.txt, WarnsLog.txt.
Fig. 2 - Configuration Dialog
You can choose which parameters to modify in the converted document (all the unselected
parameters remain unchanged).
Fig. 3 - Parameters Set Dialog
Three dialogs (page, paragraph and font setup), very similar to that used by MsWord
allow to set the values of the parameters. These values are used only if the corresponding
checkboxes in the Parameters Set dialog are checked.
Fig. 4 - Page Setup
The program is distributed in shareware. You can try it for free with some
limitations, still having the possibility to test all the program functionalities.
The limitations are:
In batch conversion (multiple
file processing) mode, formatting functions are disabled and only documents
smaller then 50 kb can be processed.
In Single File Conversion mode, the conversion function is
disabled and and only documents smaller then 25 kb can be processed and the output file name is always TEST.DOC, independently form input file name.
You can get it from the Download page
and to register it from the Registration page from
which different order forms are selectable to place an order.
The beta version beta 18.104.22.168
is now availabe.
|V1.00 october 3, 2003
||Fixed a problem causing program start failure with Word 2000
May 28, 2006
||Fixed a problem with active instances of Word program at program start|
Fixed a problem which caused the program didn't perform formatting in batch
Fixed the problem with log file when input and output folder coincide and
the subtree traverse option is active.
Added automatic start of program from command line
Added free disk space visualization
Added input fields blocking during conversion
Done Word 2007 interfacing
Some minor changes on the presentation.
|V22.214.171.124 July 12, 2006
||Fixed a problem with html output format with Word 2000|
Reported full directory names on all log files
Some code optimization done
|V126.96.36.199 July 20, 2006
||Correction of syntax of output file Index.html.
Some minor changes on the external program management
to work smoothly with
|V188.8.131.52 Beta Version September
||Added the possibility to keep the original file date, file attributes,
Added filters on input date and/or attributes,
Added options to select what to report on the og output
¹ To load or update the converters of Microsoft Word follow this link.
for the documentation about them
OdfConverterTest.exe is available from
³ Word Count (freeware)
TawbaWare software, August 1999